Saturday, April 18, 2009

Shooting Sports








What an odd scouting outing.

I am NOT an advocate of guns but I am an advocate of boys.
The stake planned and executed a varsity scout shooting sports camp out and I brought our group believing that scouts exposes boys to a host of activities that may develop into passions, hobbies, or careers; they do not necessarily all need to be things I enjoy or endorse. The boys were able to shoot 22s, shot guns and high powered rifles. (The later i really am more opposed to because they are primarily weapons.) { perhaps i should have boycotted the entire affair for as Brigham pointed out i am acting as an enealber} The earplugs were critical to survival.

We had beautiful weather, a great group of guys, and our Stake President gave a great thought / talk Friday night on being men of God and tied in navy Seals and Somali pirates - he had the boys attention.








5 comments:

bbond said...

That's my dad - getting little kids to love guns. Oh man, that brings back tender memories of my dad developing my burgeoning passion for weapons.

beezbond said...

yeah sure ...lose those tender memories

Blair said...

Mixed feelings about this. I think to develop the proper respect and understanding of guns, it requires exposure. So, better it be someone from church who (knock on wood) has that respect, than from some random peer in their backyard after school one day. I guess that's why they have cops come in and bring in a ton of drugs in 5th grade...better from a cop than a peer. Moderation in all things? Maybe.

beezbond said...

i think it is those shared mixed feelings that led me to participate in the stake activity as opposed to not

Jared said...

really tough call on how to approach this one.

not sure what i would have done...