Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Chocolate Chip Cookie


One of life's most compelling foods, at once a basic - who can deny the essential goodness of the Toll House Recipe well executed, but at the same a delicacy - the debate over a Mrs Field's or Neiman Marcus secret posted recipe; the chocolate chip cookie is standar fare in a home.


My love for a chocolate chip cookie comes quite naturally: as an inherited trait from my father and a nurtured and developed taste from my youth by my mom. I never have a memory of my mother not making CCCs; that memory then blurs with that of my sister becoming the primary ccc provider in the family. Both masters of the CCC.

The best which are:
  • round in shape - flatter more than puffy;

  • a bit brown - not doughy and just a bit over - cooked not just tan ;

  • and crispy - more than chewy
Though I have tried many times I have never truly succeeded in being a good maker of the ccc; Rindy has always been more than up to the challenge and when she does bake them will occasionally indulge my countre-temps (at least within my household) preferences with a short run.

With that said, may I salute Parker with this post, who makes a great Chocolate Chip Cookie (see photo). His skills and abilities in creating a culinary delight challenge the famed chef's of Hell's Kitchen. He makes a tasty morsel and he too will over cook a few just for me. Props to Parker.

4 comments:

Sara and Todd said...

Way to go Parker! Hopefully he over cooked a few for you Tim. :-) I must say that I too am a CCC lover. I often make double batches and preportion out the dough and freeze them so I can bake them fresh whenever the mood strikes. I returned from MN to find Todd and the kids had exhausted the last of my supply. Alas, I must make more. Happy CCC-ing!

mattandhonor said...

What a tribute to the "ccc"!! It's interesting to see that you and Sally (understandably so) share the same taste for brown, slightly over cooked ccc's. I MUCH prefer chewy, not so brown cookies. In fact, when we were living with Dale and Sally I made ccc's and Sally asked what was wrong with my cookies because they WEREN'T brown which in my opinion means burnt. Wonder which kind my kids and siblings prefer??

Sally said...

Oh, you are your father's son. And the posted cookie, it looks awesome. I send you fudge, Parker. You may send me cookies any time. Love you.

beezbond said...

i love that parker chose to be a ccc master