Great man - mediocre book. As the author states in her description of the book: "It is a homespun collection of the stories for which his life became known," Woodger wrote in the preface of the book. "It attempts to catch glimpses of his private life and, in so doing, make George Albert Smith a more personable figure." "Against Odds the Life of George Albert Smith" doesn't bring any particularly new insights to the subject, nor is the writing particularly compelling in form or style. The man being a prophet of God nonetheless is a compelling subject. I read with increased interest given we share a common ancestor - his Grand father and name sake George A. Smith also happens to be my Great - Great Grand Father.
From the book you would learn that 'George Albert, was beset throughout his life with frail health and at times debilitating propensity to nervous tension'; that he deeply loved his wife , and the Lord. He came across to me as even more of the prophetic nature of Howard W Hunter than Howard W Hunter. (HWH being one of my favorites) GASmith was a man who lived what he preached and he deeply preached kindness and love of all people.
He was first and foremost a good man. Part of that extended to how he preached the gospel:
"Many Church members recall that President Gordon B. Hinckley on occasion expressed the Church's attitude toward those of other faiths in this way: "We say to the people, in effect, you bring with you all the good that you have, and then let us see if we can add to it. That is the spirit of this work. That is the essence of our missionary service" (meeting in Nairobi, Kenya, Feb. 17, 1998). Fewer understand or realize that President George Albert Smith much earlier expressed the same sentiment."
One item that made me question how my father could share a heritage with him was his diet. " In his efforts to maintain a youthful energy while serving as the president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, President Smith kept a rigid dietary routine. He typically ate a light breakfast, consisting generally of prunes and a dish of steamed wheat with cream." That would not be a food of choice from my father's line.
George Albert was committed to Sons of American Revolution and the Boys Scouts of America. He was a doer on an individual basis, committed to making a difference one-by-one even when he was in a position to influence and direct thousands.
Today in priesthood we discussed George Albert's Personal creed. Interesting that he would commit it to writing; interesting that it was so outward facing, interesting that he was such a good man. His creed follows:
"I would be a friend to the friendless and find joy in ministering to the needs of the poor.
"I would visit the sick and afflicted and inspire in them a desire for faith to be healed.
"I would teach the truth to the understanding and blessing of mankind.
"I would seek out the erring one and try to win him back to a righteous and happy life.
"I would not seek to force people to live up to my ideals but rather love them into doing the thing that is right.
"I would live with the masses and help to solve their problems that their earth life may be happy.
"I would avoid the publicity of high positions and discourage the flattery of thoughtless friends.
"I would not knowingly wound the feelings of any, not even one who may have wronged me, but would seek to do him good and make him my friend.
"I would overcome the tendency to selfishness and jealousy and rejoice in the successes of all the children of my Heavenly Father.
"I would not be an enemy to any living soul.
"Knowing that the Redeemer of mankind has offered to the world the only plan that will fully develop us and make us really happy here and hereafter, I feel it not only a duty but also a blessed privilege to disseminate this truth."
George Albert Smith was more than just a remarkable man, he was a prophet of God with an incredible capacity to do good and love. Hallmarks which all of us should seek to emulate for 2012. Nonetheless if you want to read more about him I recommend the Ensign Article from this month more that this book.
Sunday, January 8, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thanks for the recap Tim. Being in Primary I have missed the lessons on him and his teachings. Nice write up. Impressive creed to live by.
Post a Comment