Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The HELP

“Even if stories haven’t been told, is it fair for an outsider to tell them?” Intriguing question. "How do we get at the truth of another person’s experiences?" Or should we?

I remember  NPR & NYT discussions revolving  the writing of The Help when it was first published and reviewed. Could a white woman write in the voice of a black? Was it authentic? Though we have had the book lying around the house for some time I had never picked it up until during a discussion Julie commented that it was among, if not the one, that was her favorite of this past year's read. I trust her judgment and concur.

They say everyone has a book in  them waiting to be written. I have been intrigued with the thought that Kennedy's cabinet was comprised of "The Best & the Brightest", all of whom had published a book. Perhaps even haunted by the thought that to be authentic, or perhaps to be bright, that I indeed need to share my story. Even this morning Rindy and I discussed the concept, of which we have often parleyed, of writing "The Evan Experience"; which will one day happen. It will happen primarily because we feel we have a unique voice on a subject and insights that should be shared. The authenticity of our experience is why we feel others would enjoy it and perhaps value it. 

But all great stories don't emerge through the first person, not all are autobiographical or historic. Many a great read has emerged from the eyes of an observer or a fruitful imagination. The long-range purpose of writing is to communicate a particular message to a particular audience. Stories serve different purposes for different authors, one main purposes is to unveil the truth.  My perception is that Stockett wants to give voice to her view of a very complicated time,  place and relations in American history. And to me she succeeds. From the moment I started this book I couldn’t wait for the chance to pick it up again.  As of matter of fact, when I woke restless in the middle of the night, I quietly read a few more pages.   It deals with issues such as race, gender, class,  family and friendship. Should an outsider tell another's story, in the end I would say yes, in a selfish way that meets my needs. For this book leaves me wanting to live a life reflected, so that in reading my chapter, I will recognize myself and perceive what should be changed or discarded from how I show up. Additionally, that I live a life kinder to those with whom I interact, that I treat all with respect. In that aspect the book is a success ( of worth to have read)  to me given that after reading it I have ideas on how to incorporate what I read into what I do. There is so little time and so much content that I feel I need to be judicious in what content I consume. To not only enjoy what I read but to have it make an impact.If you have a moment for a good read, I recommend The Help.

2 comments:

mattandhonor said...

I really enjoyed reading that book as well. Definitely a fav. It was an interesting read having grown up in the South. I never had any personal experience with anything like that, but could easily picture it-almost too easily!
Can't wait to read "The Evan Experience"

Anonymous said...

that book was hard to put down. such a great read.
also can't wait to read "the evan experience"