I literally have known Doug for decades and have a depth and breadth of shared memories. I knew Doug well before I was married; I’ve served multiple times in shared callings from Elder’s Quorum, to Home Teaching his family for years and years, to scouting. A few quick thoughts
· I would have never thought, nor would I have ever figured out how to build a potato gun -but Doug did. In fact I still have it in my garage and used it with my Naperville scouts Few words describe the youthful joy of young men shooting potatoes 200 yards with PVC piping. Doug could build many a contraption, this was one of my favorites.
· Doug mainly lived in homes on Medicine Lake He designed and built his home on the ridge overlooking the lake. It wasn’t a quick project and there were multiple opportunities to provide the manual labor in assisting on a project. The craftsman type work was off-limits to the likes of me but I carried, moved, held, and cleaned many a time with Doug. Doug more than reciprocated by returning the favor with skilled home repair helps when something was just past what Rindy and I could muster.
· Doug was ever inquisitive and willing to question and discuss politics, religion, and family at the drop of a hat. Ok, he might have been a tad too conservative than I, but he was always open to discussion. And many was the night sitting around the campfire where we explored a gospel principle, its foundation, its implications, and it veracity. He didn’t take things for granted but wanted to truly understand. It’s that engineering mind.
· Doug served. He served willing and he served well. On the welfare farm – he was there; painting a structure – he was there, raking leaves – he was there, making a lost sheep visit – he was there, building a set for a roadshow – he was there; and I couldn’t underscore enough going on a camp out – he was there.
· Doug and scouts. He served as an assistant scout master before I arrived on the scene and was an incredible source of experience and skills. He made an incredible contribution to the boys. He was patient in teaching, he was quick with praise, he was very real, he was non-judgmental, he was patient in demonstrating and showing how. There are literally dozens and dozens of examples that pop to mind but two will be emblematic of all: Doug spoke at our eldest son Blair’s eagle court of honor. The most important memory of that moment was Doug commenting that he loved Blair as a son. What a commitment, what service, what impact. The other is the patience of Job as Doug helped teach Evan how to downhill ski. The other boys quickly took to the hill; but Evan, just wasn’t as quick to the task and my knees being what they are, I wasn’t to be the one on the hill. I can vividly envision Doug skiing down the hill guiding Evan , encouraging him, helping Evan succeed. Doug had an impact on each of my four boys for which I am in his debt. Doug shared his love.
· Doug loved his family. He loved his Mom and Dad and faithfully served and helped them as a son, as a neighbor, as a health care provider. Doug loved his family I heard him praise and honor each of Barb, Mike, Matt, Amy and Ashley To each of them I say thanks for sharing Doug with me and my family. Know that many a time, at many a campfire, during many a service project I heard Doug praise you and express his concern for your long–term welfare. He cared for and loved his family.
And so another dear friend unexpectedly passes on having left their impression on my life. I’m grateful for the years of association, grateful for the years of sharing, grateful to know that through Heavenly Father’s plan our association will continue another time.
Various seasons of doug
No comments:
Post a Comment