Words have always
been part of our family's life, conjoined with books, being abundant
and omnipresent. Regular bookstore and library trips were
necessities of life. Clear memory begins no later than as a teen
forward of the dictionary preeminence in the kitchen. Appropriate
usage and clear understanding were expected in table conversation.
And my father clearly delighted in obfuscating meaning by using words
and expressions uncharted by me and hence, his need for me to search
the dictionary so that I would understand him. Ridiculous indeed!
Paradigms are made
to shift and so mine did one Saturday when I was 16. I was preparing
eggs for breakfast and was made to realize that I must keep my fork
parallel to the pan’s bottom, using the word 'tine' heretofore
unknown by me, as in the tines of a fork. I dutifully found the word,
pronunciation and demonstrative sentence in the foreboding OED.
After breakfast I
drove to the high school to take my SAT test and lo-and-behold what
was the first word in the vocabulary section but 'tine'. I knew it! I
owned the test from that point forward. Also I never begrudged my
father compelling me to search a definition.
Word by Word
the secret life of dictionaries by Kory stamper
I feel I have a
reasonable grasp of words, grammar, and language, that is until I
read a book like Word by Word; then I realize what an amateur
and unlearned person I am. Kory is a lexicographer with Merriam
-Webster in this book she pulls back the internal process curtain;
and flaunts a word usage or two.
Dictionaries are
prescriptive not descriptive. As such they record and categorize word
usage they don't canonize and provide the definitive answer. Its been
along time since I’ve studied the basics of grammar which they
abide by: Person place thing – nouns; Describes action – verbs;
Modifies nouns – adjectives; Answer the ‘w’ questions –
adverb; Joins words together – conjunction; Things we say when
you're happy, surprised, angry – interjection. The necessity of
grammar " it is with reason expected of every person of a
liberal education, and it is indispensably required of everyone who
takes to inform or entertain the public, that he should be able to
express himself with propriety and accuracy" Lowth - 1762
Oft she uses words I
have no idea what they mean and must look up e.g. Cromulent
-uncertain, possibly "acceptable," or "fine" ...
but search further and "it is safe to say that The
Simpsons has contributed a great deal to the English
language. One famous example is cromulent,
which was coined specifically for the 1996 episode “Lisa the
Iconoclast." In reference to one character’s questioning of
the use of embiggen,
another says “it’s a perfectly cromulent word.” Despite being a
complete fabrication, the word caught on, and seems to be made for
the internet". An example of how the dictionary records language
evolution not prescribing rigorous adherence to formulaic
prescription. An interesting online etymology of 'mansplain' -
(of
a man) explain (something) to someone, typically a woman, in a manner
regarded as condescending or patronizing.
Ouroboros - a
circular symbol depicting a snake, or less commonly a dragon,
swallowing its tail, as an emblem of wholeness or infinity.
A
few interesting process words:
Inclusionist - would
include clued every word ever uttered or ever used in the
dictionary
Etymology fallacy -
is the worst sort of pedantry: a meaningless
personal opinion trying to dress itself up as concern for preserving
historical principles.
Sprachgefühl - an
intuitive sense of what is linguistically appropriate, combines two
German nouns, Sprache,
meaning "language, speech," and Gefühl,
meaning "feeling." (Nouns are capitalized in German
Anecdata -
combination of an anecdote and refers to personal experiences or
anecdotes that are treated like objectively collected and analyzed
data
Conclusion - it is
human nature to want to justify your own opinions by appealing to an
external authority thus one tends to use the dictionary to bolster an
opinion that was already held rather than confirming the objective
meaning of the word. An appeal to the dictionary in scrabble or
quiddler - has no merit in that the dictionary just describes what is
not what should be in terms of the English language. So the appeal
should be based on if the person can use it in a reasonable sentence
where both parties understand the meaning – no, the acknowledgment
of its existence is what it does - meaning has no merit.
“And unfortunately
right thinking definitely does not lead to write usage and right
usage is not a hallmark of right thinking as has been the case in
times past. Or at least that's what marketing had let us to believe.”
If you like words
and the history of words its a worthwhile read, not quite as
compelling as The
Professor
and the Madman but
worth the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment