Tuesday, July 25, 2017

The Tapestry by Nancy Bilyeau

The Tapestry by Nancy Bilyeau

I dove into the pond without sounding before hand.  The Tapestry is last of the Joanna Stafford trilogy  situated in the heart of the 16th century Tudor court.  Bilyeau recaps the previous books subtly such that I didn't feel I missed a thing by jumping into the third, other than the enjoyment she provides in the reading. In a world of political intrigue, shifting and conflicting religious values and Tower Hill executions, Joanna is propelled into the future,trying to answer the question as to which future will it be: nun or wife, spy or subject, rebel or courtier, alive or assassinated.Discovering the answers in the context of historical fiction is one of my favorite genres and Bilyeau delivers. The story moves right along and more than once I found my self doing a google fact check to see if the circumstances could bee that bizarre and the story so like unto today. But it was and it is.  it should have been a quick read but for some reason it wasn't. you will delight in the character of Joanna  'the devout former novice who, in spite of her desire for a quiet, contemplative life, always finds herself amid the storms of the controversies of the day' and her integration into the times, particularly if you enjoy historic fiction. 

No comments: