Monday, April 3, 2017

The Last Armada by Des Ekin

The Last Armada by Des Ekin

I must confess that if I were to be an historian I would be a devotee of the 15th - 18th century with a focus on Spain, France, England, and Italy. Whether its historic fiction like Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, the Chronicles of Brother Cadfael mystery series by Ellis Peters, or non-fiction like The Discoverers a history of discovering the Americas, by Daniel Boorstin or the Map That Changed the World, the history of the first geological map by Simon Winchester – I will dive in and give it read. So when the library failed to deliver on the book I supposedly had on reserve, The Last Armada by Des Ekin caught my eye and so we dove.

I’ve formed my own jaded opinions, over time, of the peoples of that epoch: English - over-bearing, over-confident, exploitative in a patronizing manner, destined to play their role in setting the stage for the restoration; Spanish -discoverers, adventuresome, indulgent, unfortunately consumers of their American found wealth and not builders; Irish – animated, strong willed, destined to emigrate. The book did nothing to dissuade me.
The English did not win (many more of them died) – they claimed they did. The Spanish were not there to help the Irish (only to interfere with the English) – they failed on both accounts. and the Irish simply did not fight (why should they? they were there for the spoils/not for freedom). The flight of the Earls was never a significant result. Without an Irish national feeling, No man would die for another man's freedom – they languished in their relationship with England ever since.
The author explains the terrain, battles, siege construction, and weaponry well enough to please any military historian concerning Spain’s last armada and invasion of Ireland and the battle of Kinsale. Most compelling are the author’s discussions of the effect of the battle on Spain as its empire died and England’s colonies grew, the end of Spain’s religious wars, the shift of power in England, and the cataclysm as Gaelic Ireland declined and died.

A good book that places Kinsale siege and battle in its rightful place in history. And as a randomly chosen book was well chosen.

No comments: