I love skating and playing hockey. Truth be told I don't really love skating but I do love playing hockey. Most nights , when I was in high school, upon returning home from basketball practice, i strapped on the skates and went down in the backyard and played hockey with neighbors and friends. Being a true Minnesotan hockey was the sport that bound us together. The cold didn't matter, the snow could be shoveled, the cracks in the ice smoothed - hockey could be played.
Hockey was even part of my mission to Quebec. Thursday night was Soiree Canadien and far be it from me to be successful in getting in a door to preach when the Canadiens were playing - just didn't happen. It was a tradition that was honored more than catholicism, and that is saying quite a lot for that time and place.
My brother Brad and I one year tried to convince my dad that the fighting scene had changed with the new North Stars wide open skating approach but we chose the wrong game to make our point, It was the North Stars and the Blackhawks - Gloves and sticks everywhere! they threw off the gloves and slugged it out in a brawl!. It went on and on and on. In the end the cancelled part of the period and the ice was blood-stained. it was crazy.(for sample click here)
Unfortunately, the fighting has continued in the NHL. I've never been a fan of the fighting and after reading the three part series recently in the New York Times it reinforces the notion that fighting is more than just out of control. The article Derek Boogaard: A Boy Learns to Brawl is an interesting insight to this underbelly of hockey. Hockey is still a great sport to watch, though I haven't played on ice for some time myself. ( hearken you back to Rindy and Parker getting it on in street hockey)
Hate the fighting but love the Hockey
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ever done the college hockey? When I have gone to college games, they seem to be a little more open with less fighting. But I have not been to a ton of them.
Post a Comment