Saturday, July 30, 2011

Scout Camp

My years at scout camp number in the decades worth. I've been blessed to attend scout camp every year my boys attended and then some - before they were scouts and after they moved on. I've developed great friendships with the adults I've shared campfires with and great bonds and memories with my boys and other boys as we've shared. Camp is a great equalizer - common clothing, common tents, common food - common as in shared, belonging equally to, or shared alike by and uplifted by. Camp  is a great place to feel the spirit and be humbled by the peacefulness of the evenings, the  peace of the stars, the peace of fire and water and the rambunctiousness of boys.


I've spent from days to weeks at the following

Camp Freeland Leslie
L. E. Phillips Scout Reservation
Fred Andersen Camp
Tomahawk Scout Reservation
Medicine Mountain Scout Ranch
Gamehaven Scout Reservation
Kiwanis Scout Camp
Norseland Scout Camp
Phillippo Scout Reservation
Rum River Scout Camp
Stearns Scout Camp
Many Point Scout Camp


 
Some are better than others - the programs differ, the staff differ, the settings differ, the facilities differ but all offer that which scouting offers. As defined back in 1910 it was 
"to teach [boys] patriotism, courage, self-reliance, and kindred values - and has stayed near to that ever since. Scouting helps molds young boys into young men anchored in values. And so I readily signed up to fill in for a bit of time when our troop was short leaders at camp this week.







We had rain. I think that is an understatement - we really had rain, probably the most ever in all my camping years.





 I had a great star lit hike, time down at the water front, observing classes and just chill-laxing the scout way - with knifes




Camp is good. 

1 comment:

bbond said...

good memories. Thanks, poppa!