Wednesday, June 6, 2018

The Book of Phoenix. Nnedi Okorafor


The Book of Phoenix Nnedi Okorafor


I heard of Okorafor upon listening to one of her short stories being reason Levar Burton Reads podcast. It was part fantasy, part "powerful, memorable, superhuman women", it was all enjoyable. I approached this book with high expectations and was not disappointed.
The Book of Phoenix is a unique work of magical futurism- combining mythology, science and fantasy. It features the rise of, what I guess is to be expected from Nnedi Okorafor, a powerful, memorable, superhuman woman. Phoenix was grown and raised among other genetic experiments in New York’s Tower 7. She is an “accelerated woman”—she comes to a realization of who she is and what she can accomplish and in so doing becomes 'the Phoenix "that rises from the ash and changes ( redesigns) the world.
I think it foreshadows, part of what may be our future if we do not address institutional racism, other legacy issues that can arise in fighting the historic and ongoing exploitation of those deemed "less".
An insightful, engaging and a contributing read in my efforts to expand my understanding and treatment of others and wrestling with institutional racism.


No comments: