Five Carat Soul. James Mcbride
I regularly Enjoy reading the Sunday New York Times book review magazine. They don’t gloss over a poorly written book, or give undue praise. And now and again that I uncover one which I’m prodded to check out. One such review which I quickly devoured was Five Carat Soul.
I hadn’t read anything from McBride ; wasn’t really familiar with them but now that I’m going to that world.. I totally enjoy the work ! His short stories are a great read
A few comments and some insight as to what you’re getting into:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/books/review/james-mcbride-five-carat-soul-stories.html
"Some are straightforward; some are gleefully surreal. And every one of them is brash, daring and defiantly original."
“That's an accurate way to describe McBride's entire collection. The stories in Five-Carat Soul vary widely in style and setting, but they're all linked by the author's compassionate sensibilities. The characters in this book — human and otherwise — feel real and beautifully drawn, and their stories are bound to stay with readers for a very long time.”
“Black life is as diverse and as wonderful as white life. My stories show that kind of humanity, because that’s really the world I live in”
Go get on your library’s waitlist.
No comments:
Post a Comment