The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris
I was looking for a biography somehow got pointed towards this. didn't quite realize I was jumping into eight hundred pages; nonetheless I quite enjoyed the book. I wasn't very current in my history of the late 1800s which was interesting I equally wasn't very current with my history of Theodore Roosevelt -a truly compelling individual.
Roosevelt was a man born to wealth, of status and position ; which he worked to optimize through doggedly trying to achieve and excellence. He overcame obstacles of bad health trying family times and premature death of his wife. He was comfortable to roam the halls of Harvard, hobnob with the wealthy in New York , ride the range of the Dakotas, know the cities of Europe, a great nature conservationist who loved to hunt, and be a hero of the Spanish-American war in Cuba with the Roosevelt Roughriders. He was a prolific writer publishing dozens of books in his lifetime with a broad range of expertise and averaged reading a book a day throughout his life.
"He was a politician born to articulate the longings of the inarticulate; a scholar able to interpret current events in the light of ancient and modern history; a man of peculiar uprightness and abounding vitality and marvelous memory; who stuck to his policy with all the tenacity of a snapping turtle."
"Adams found Roosevelt repulsively fascinating ... His vitality was indecent, his finances ridiculous, and he was about as subtle culturally speaking as a Bullmoose . there's no denying his originality, his extraordinary ability to translate that into deed ...he was pure act."
“Spectacles glittering, teeth and temper flashing, high-pitched voice rasping and crackling, Roosevelt surges out of these pages with the force of a physical presence.” He is one of the most articulate most well read and written the most books of any of our presidents a truly extraordinary man.
"Selected by the Modern Library as one of the 100 best nonfiction books of all time "
Reminds me of why I like a biography you can find great writing, a comprehensive look into history, insights into the making of people of strong character , and inspiration for yourself to improve.
Sent from tim wilson
No comments:
Post a Comment