Thursday, January 2, 2014

Reflections on Mom

I posted the kids and thought I should add mine:

The Mothers I've known

Many have been constrained
By time, reason, or their own minds
To pass through life with but one mother
But me I have loved myriad

A young one I knew sprained her ankle
Quickly the rumor rampant was
They shoot lame horse and mothers
Though she never was ‘lame’

The UnAaronic mother and I
Had our outings
Made mini- loafs of bread with me
When I was too young to participate as I felt I should

The sporting mother showed many faces
I had a softball game that night, and
With no one else around she came
Warmed me up because I needed practice

That same softball fanatic mother
Drove multiple times to SLC with the team
One rule – no Unh, Unh, Unh music on the ride
What taste – I guess she wasn’t the music mother

The snurfer, that little snow surfing ski
Yes, another of her sports
She gamely tried it on the hill in back
Face plants, caressed in white, she looked divine

One mother named Hiawatha
Sloppy, floppy hat with paddle in hand
The 4th on the St. Croix
With a handsome date at stern



The sporting mother so closely relates the gaming mother
In zeal, competitiveness and love of the chase
The three hand master, the card counter
She won, she laughed, and she won again without mercy

Scrabble, Quinto, Backgammon
Twixt, Quiddler, Crazy Kings
Othello, Five Straight, Rummicube
Master of all, loser at none – how fair is that

The English professor’s wife
Though he ruled the dictionary
In fact it was she who
Taught typing, corrected papers, typed themes

The funny girl mother
Laughed AT gifts of galvanized watering cans
Chortled at cardboard birthday cakes
And guffawed when others might have turned away

The movie star mother
Rode in limos with the stars
And forced others to watch Godzilla
So as not to have a deprived childhood

Was that mother the same Junie-Babe
The ‘tap-me’ in congratulations
The name sake of could it be, yes it was
A goose

The constant mother she was there
She graduated from Primary in 1966
And then from MIA in 1972
Hmmmm, so did I



The constant mother
The soft lap, the tender touch to sooth
After a long church day, a long school day, or work
Unfailing support when others were not

The constant mother –pillar of spirit
Bore testimony, supported a great man
Served as matron and advisor
Was sealed to me for eternity

Can mothers be girlfriends too
Oh surely she was and is
She wrote faithfully
With love never failing

The grandmother mother
Perhaps the finest of all
For she loves my own children without pause
And sees them as princely, and princessly, as do I

The crazy mother
Crazy socks, crazy cards, crazy kids
Crazy times, crazy hairdos, crazy fun
Oh, the mother wasn’t crazy it was I

Lastly there is the mother I love
My mother, Helen June Jackson Wilson
All of these mothers - everyone of which I have

Everyone of which I love

No comments: