Saturday, February 13, 2010

who if not i





We had a totally enjoyable Christmas present today for a valentine's date.
For Christmas Blair & Julie gave us gift certificates to Ted's Montana Grill in downtown Naperville (about a four block walk in the fresh air) followed by tickets to the DuPage Symphony Orchestra (another three block Wenz's auditorium. The dinner was enjoyable and the concert a delight. They performed Indian Suite by Edward MacDowell, and Grand Canyon Suite by Ferde Grofe and an original composition by symphony and Women's chorus by Jams Falzone entitled " who if not I" with lyrics from an old celtic poem:

The Mystery of Amergin.

I am the wind which breathes upon the sea,
I am the wave of the ocean,
I am the murmur of the billows,
I am the ox of the seven combats,
I am the hawk on the cliff,
I am a beam of the sun,
I am the fairest of flowers,
I am a salmon in the water,
I am a lake in the plain,
I am a word of science,
I am the point of the lance of battle,
I am the God who creates in the head [i.e. of man] the fire [i.e. the thought].

Who levels the mountain?
Who speaks the ages of the moon?
Who teaches the place where couches the sun
who If not I?

The symphony alone pieces were well performed and the hall an excellent venue. The original piece started with the women's chorus humming one note as they entered with two soloist canting a piece from St Thomas Aquinas, then a full Rondo - great evening, great date.

No comments: